The cart is empty

Housetraining - what to do if there are accidents

housetrainingaccidents

Learn what to do if there are accidents during housetraining and how to fill out the free Housetraining Chart.

This video will explain what to do if there are accidents and how to fill out my Housetraining Chart to help make sense of your housetraining mystery. I recommend watching the video, reading all the notes and download the Housetraining Chart

Don't Frighten Your Puppy

If you do something that frightens your puppy when he goes potty in front of you, he could learn that this event is dangerous for him. If this occurs, you might have the problem of your puppy not going in front of you and instead finding a safe place under your coffee table or in another room.

Pushing a dog's face in their waste is a really bad idea and can lead to your puppy being afraid of you or even Coprophagia, or feces eating.

Housetraining Chart

Download the FREE chart that I created and use with all of my private clients. Keep track of all your puppy's patterns and make housetraining easier.

What the Chart Means

Download the chart above and take a look at it. You will see that there are columns and rows. Here is an explanation of the column.

Date
Date that you fill out the chart

Location

Location that you take your puppy to go potty

Time

The current time

Output

"0" - nothing happened

"1" - urine

"2" - feces

Crate In

The time you put your puppy back in the crate after his "freedom"

Time Ate

Time that he eats breakfast, dinner, or anything substantial such as a rawhide

Time Drank

Anytime that he drinks even a sip of water. If he drinks a lot, I recommend adding +++ next to the time to designate more water intake

In Case You Need A Refresher

{youtube}UDtyfBAnWIc{/youtube}

Filling Out the Chart

Each time you think your puppy has to go potty, fill out one row. Let's say it is 10am and your puppy is in the crate (a good place for him to be). Take him out of the crate, put the leash on and take him to the "Location", let's say "backyard". Say, "Go Potty" one time and wait 3-5 minutes. If he goes potty, give him an OUTSTANDING treat and give him some freedom.

On the chart, you will write the Date, the Time, the Location, and the Output. So, you should circle 0, 1 or 2. You should circle 1 and 2 if he did both. I count either urination or defecation as a "success" and allow freedom after that. It is really difficult, if not impossible, to train a young puppy to do both when you want. Puppies can defecate multiple times per day, or sometimes might just go once per day. It is difficult to predict.

Keep in mind that puppies can hold it generally one hour per month of age (from the Crate Training Video). So if you have a 10-week-old puppy you can expect him to be able to hold it approximately 2.5 hours during the day.

You want to make sure that he is IN the crate at the END of his time period. So, if he went potty at 10am, he will probably have to go potty at 12:30pm, which is 2.5 hours from the time he went.

So, I recommend that he is out of the crate for 1 - 1.5 hours at the most after he goes potty and then he is in the crate until he has to go again. During the time he is out of the crate it is important that you are watching him to make sure he does not have an accident. If you can't watch him for 5 seconds, put him in the crate. Period. When he is out, you can take him for a walk, play with him, train him or he could be sleeping at your feet.

You can also tie him gently to your belt or around your waist with a leash and have him follow you around the house so he doesn't get into mischief.

So, in this example, he should be out until 11 or 11:30 and then placed gently back in the crate.

On the chart you will write 11:30am for Crate In. Then at 12:30, pay attention to what your puppy is doing. At 12:30pm, if he is sleeping and you don't have to go anywhere, ignore him. If you have to go out, wake him up to go potty, or use a Long Term Confinement Area (watch this video for instructions).

If he sleeps past 12:30, that will help condition his bladder to hold it longer in the future. As soon as puppies wake up, they generally have to go potty, so be prepared to take him right outside, or on the puppy pad if you are using pads.

When you are ready to take him out, the Crate Out time is the same time as the time on the next line. This is because when you take him Out of the crate you will immediately take him to the potty area.

What Does the Zero Mean on the Chart?

If you ever take your puppy outside or on the pad, say, "Go Potty" and nothing happens after 3-5 minutes, put him back in the crate. You should then circle "0" on the chart and take him out again in 15-60 minutes, depending on your confidence level of how long he can hold it. If you took him out of the crate at 10am, you would write 10:05am on the Crate In box, since he was out for 5 minutes maximum.

Zeros actually are good, because it means that your puppy is holding it longer. But, don't get discouraged if you rarely or never get a "Zero" because puppies often go potty every time they go outside. The main goal is to avoid accidents.

So Back to the Question About Accidents

I wanted to make sure you knew how to fill out the chart, because that is important information that will help you keep track of your puppy's patterns. If he does have an accident, calmly clean it up and circle the time, location, and what happened (1 or 2). Pay attention to his water intake (Time Drank), food intake (Time Ate) and all of the other information on the chart.

If he has accidents in the crate, you need to adjust your schedule. If it during the evening, you need to set your alarm and wake up to let him out, or have him sleep in a long-term confinement area. If he has an accident in the crate when you are at work, get dog walkers or use a long-term confinement area.

If he has accidents out of the crate, watch him more closely, chart his progress and take him out more frequently.

Water is a HUGE Variable

Often puppies drink WAY more water than they need. If your puppy is a manic drinker, limit his water to a 5-10 sips and then take the water away. Also remove the water at 6 or 7pm at night to help him make it through the night. Make sure you are charting all of the times that he drinks during the day. Can't watch him? Crate him. Period.

What If He Goes Potty Outside and Comes in and Goes???

Puppies are not random, so if you gather enough data, you should be able to see patterns. One pattern might be that he goes potty outside and has an accident shortly after coming inside. Often what happens is that puppies get distracted outside and "forget" to finish. If this happens, chart all the information and remember it tomorrow. After you bring him inside, put him in the crate for 15-30 minutes and then bring him outside again to finish.

If you have to leave the house, use a long-term confinement area.

I hope this helps. Housetraining can be very challenging, but stick with it, chart your puppy's progress, and you will do great.

Also, don't be shy about using the crate. Feel guilty? Read this post about guilt.

Happy Training!

Housetraining basics - teach your puppy where to g...
Dog training rules of tug - drop

Related Posts

Comments 11

Jeff Millman on Thursday, 28 April 2011 21:30

Ahxn,

Ahxn, Thanks for your comment. It is tough sometimes to keep things short. But, I am glad you liked it.
Jeff Millman on Saturday, 30 April 2011 00:17

no i am not agree with ahxn. its a good article. with full detail. the detail which was required.

Jeff Millman on Saturday, 30 April 2011 01:47

Thanks Asad. I am glad you liked the article. It is difficult to write the perfect amount for everyone. Check back for more videos.

Jeff Millman on Sunday, 08 May 2011 12:56

Water Fountain

good video shared according to the article. result of video is good. and article is also describes exactly what was required. [url=http://www.waterfountainpros.com]Water Fountain[/url]
Jeff Millman on Monday, 16 May 2011 23:40

Party Promoter

I could't understand your point on water. What will happen if we dont care about his timing of drinking water. and how much he drinks. will you please explain this? thanks for sharing such a good article Party Promoter
Jeff Millman on Tuesday, 17 May 2011 00:54

Sheena, the basics about water involve looking at how much your puppy drinks and the time of day. If there are accidents, limit the amount each time your puppy drinks and/or remove access to water at 7 or 8 pm at night at the latest. Also, look at the correlation of WHEN he drinks and WHEN there is an accident and use the housetraining chart to keep track. For instance, some puppies drink water and have to go within 15-30 minutes. If your puppy has an accident 20 minutes after drinking water, then you should either take him outside after 15 minutes, or put him in the crate and take him out just a bit later. Let me know if you still have questions.

Jeff Millman on Tuesday, 28 June 2011 14:46

This is a great article and exactly what we needed! I have a question. I have a 10 wk old shih tzu named Toby. Toby is left at 9AM-12:30PM but I confine him to the kitchen because sometimes due to work I get home a bit later and don't want him to eliminate in his crate. Then I leave lunch-time and don't come back until 5:30PM. When we get home after work we take him out back and he does his business, but I think he is confused because whenever he wants he goes anywhere in the rug. I tried finding his pattern there's NONE. I VERY much want to crate train him because the times I leave him in his crate for even just 20 mins. he CRIES and HOWLS and it's extremely annoying to the neighbors. I put radio on..etc. Any suggestions? I don't have anyone to take him out during the day before I get home at 5:30PM

Jeff Millman on Tuesday, 28 June 2011 14:49

I also would like to add that Toby wants to be with me wherever I go, he is like a little shadow I think he is afraid I might leave him, we've tried reading articles re: separation anxiety and now we are the ones that are confused. He behaves well with my Husband and doesn't cry when he leaves him...

Jeff Millman on Thursday, 30 June 2011 03:43

Hi Ailin, glad you liked the article. If you have not done so, download the housetraining chart to assist you in learning Toby's patterns. Keep in mind that 20 minutes is too long for Toby right now without reinforcement. What you need to do is leave him in there for REALLY short amounts of time (as short as 1-2 seconds) and then come back (only if he is quiet) and give him a treat. I strongly recommend you use a clicker. If you don't have one, you can purchase them on my site. If he goes potty on the rug, that simply means that he is getting too much time without supervision. Watch him more closely and keep him with you if you leave the room, or put him in the crate. You might want to consider my Barking and Separation Anxiety EBook that I sell for only $7.99 to address your questions in more detail. Thanks for reading, and check back for more videos.

Jeff Millman on Wednesday, 06 July 2011 15:52

Thanks for your response! I tried downloading the EBook and it says page is not working. I am wondering if you can send me another link to it? Thank you!

Jeff Millman on Wednesday, 06 July 2011 20:10

Hi Ailin, sorry for any inconvenience. The EBook link is at the top of the page under "Dog Training Products". I have been selling a lot of them and no one else mentioned a problem. Can you provide me more details about what happened? Thanks.